Monday, January 3, 2011

Movie of the Decade?

I've been trying to figure out why I was so blown away by this movie. Of course the acting is phenomenal and the story is fantastic. I think it means a lot that it is based on reality. The only movie I can remember affecting me like this one was Shindler's List, which of course dealt with much more important events. It seems like a long time since I've been able to say: "That was a GREAT movie!" I've seen lots of good ones but not many that qualify as great.

It was so neat to see Queen Elizabeth portrayed as a young girl, and it seems to me that they found someone with a striking resemblance if my memory of actual pictures from the past are accurate. And having visited some of those locations in London added a special touch as well. But in the end it was the relationship between these two men that had the greatest impact on me - one minute I was laughing uproariously and the next I was choked up with tears. There are some amazing lines in this film.

I would be interested in hearing a younger person's opinion of The King's Speech. I understand how it attracts the older crowd and to be honest I sure don't mind attending movies with seniors - no goofing around/chatter, and some heartfelt applause at the end (of course I joined in).

No comments: